Friday, September 08, 2006

An Away Mission to Poland


It has been far too long since I have posted anything. I didn't fall of the face of the planet, I just went to the other side - I took a two week trip to Poland. I intended to post something before I left, which became as soon as I get back, and weeks later I’m still trying to finish what I started before I left . . .

So in the meantime, I thought I would share something from my trip and one other random thought—both Star Trek related, of course.

While some friends and I were in Krakow, we ran into Jacek (pictured here). He struck up a conversation with us (his English is very good) and I quickly learned that he was a fan of Star Trek. When he said “Live Long and Prosper” shortly after we met him it kind of gave it away.

We ended up inviting him to eat with us in the old town square where we were able to talk Trek for a while. He told me his favorite series is The Next Generation. He described watching Star Trek in Polish and said sometimes the translations aren’t quite right – but knowing English helps him out.

As you can see in the picture, he was walking down the street carrying a dented satellite dish (maybe a deflector dish actually). He felt a little awkward carrying it into the cafĂ© where we ate, but he came along anyway. He had picked it up somewhere hoping he could turn it into a “solar oven or directional microphone.” When we started asking about it, he explained that Star Trek has prompted his interest in science and technology, so he has become something of a tinkerer/inventor.

So there we were, ‘seeking out new life, and new civilizations,’ and we met someone who knew what all that was about. It was one of many memorable moments on the trip.

Now for my random thought.

When I got back from Poland, someone introduced me to the Picard Song. If you haven’t seen it yet, it’s worth checking out.